A Guide to Your Mold Testing Options with Guaranteed Results, Lab Services by InspectorLab
Your mold inspector will be looking for evidence of mold or “microbial” growth. They will use a swab or tape lift to sample that growth. Both swabs and tape lifts are used to see if there is evidence of “current or former growth” as a result of water intrusion or excessive humidity causing the growth. Sometimes the dark or discolored “growth” is not microbial growth and thus, not evidence of water intrusion causing damage to your home. It is important to sample visible growth along with air samples to measure whether or not unwarranted exposure exists for you and your family.”
When to have a surface sample taken:
- When visible mold (or suspected mold) is present.
- Where a cleanup or removal of visible most took place.
- When a third party will be involved in effecting repairs to ensure those repairs are done properly.
Indoor Air Quality Testing
Your mold testing professional will determine the number of air samples that will be taken inside the home, along with an outdoor sample to compare the inside samples to as a baseline or control sample.
Air samples can tell you if you have hidden moisture or leaks that are producing spores that may represent a health risk to you and your family.
When you should consider an Indoor Air Quality Test:
- When a recent or past water event is suspected.
- A “musty” smell is noticed.
- An occupant of the home is predisposed to respiratory distress.
- Recent mold remediation took place and you want to verify the effectiveness.
Indoor Air Quality Testing with Comprehensive Moisture Evaluation:
Mold samples and moisture testing is done to evaluate potential health hazards from mold and help locate sources of moisture that will eventually destroy whatever becomes wet and moldy.
Property values can be greatly affected by moisture and mold. Moisture and mold testing help prevent damage to property and help keep your family healthy by identifying the source of the problem so it can be fixed.
When you should consider an IAQ test with Mold & Moisture Evaluation:
- When you have general concerns about the house.
- When the home sat vacant for an extended period of time.
- A major water event historically is suspected.
- This service becomes especially important when there is a suspected mold issue and no home inspection was performed.
InspectorLab offers an exclusive guarantee with our mold testing services. If you have mold testing done with our company and the results are good, and you later see mold, we’ll pay to remove all visible mold. Get a copy of the terms and conditions of the InspectorLab Guarantee by calling (888) 854-0477.
Reporting to you
The results of mold testing are summarized in an easy to read report with clear determinations that you can understand and act on if a problem exists. If a mold problem does not exist the InspectorLab mold report will ease your mind.